Essential Oils used for Insomnia and Sleep Apnea
Insomnia is poor-quality sleep or habitual sleeplessness, repeated night after night. It is difficulty in initiating or maintaining sleep. Insomnia is not a disorder but a symptom. Sleep Apnea is a serious sleeping disorder in which there is temporary cessation of breathing during sleep. It can degrade the quality of sleep resulting in chronic fatigue, lowered immune function, and lack of energy. Essential oils, also known as volatile oils, are fragrant components of many plants. Essential oils are used for Insomnia and Sleep Apnea due to their anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and calming effects, which help in inducing sleep. If you are able to concentrate on the smell of the oils, it will help you to Relax, breathe deep, and allow yourself to drift off into a calmer world of peaceful aroma. This is another reason why essential oils are used for Insomnia and Sleep Apnea. Here’s the list of some essential oils are used for insomnia and sleep apnea treatment:
- Marjoram: Marjoram is warming and comforting. It is sedative, aids digestion and nervous functions and is non-toxic and non-irritant. Due to it’s warming effect it helps to induce sleep. Marjoram is useful for the treatment of Sleep apnea, anxiety, colds, catarrh, intestinal spasms, muscular and joint pain and headaches.
- Lavender: Lavender has calming, anti-depressant, non-toxic, non-irritant and pain relieving properties. It also lowers blood pressure and is soothing to nerves and digestion. Lavender is a useful essential oil for treatment of Sleep apnea, tension,depression, headache, stomach cramps and shock.
- Neroli: Neroli has a very relaxing effect. It also has non-toxic and non-irritant properties. It is useful for Sleep apnea, depression, irritability, panic and shock.
- Germanium and Roman chamomile: A relaxing bath with essential oils of Geranium and Roman chamomile will help a person to unwind before sleep. Chamomile calms nerves and stomach, induces sleep, and is especially good for children. The aromas of these plants have effects, which make us feel sleepy. It is useful for Sleep apnea and anxiety. But remember that it can cause dermatitis in some people.
- Valerian: Valerian is relaxing and sleep inducing, relieves spasms, calms the digestion, and lowers blood pressure. It can bring on a restful sleep without morning sleepiness or other side effects or dangers of addiction. It has been found that valerian has an extremely beneficial effect among poor or irregular sleepers, people having sleep apnea and in people having difficulty falling asleep.
Above mentioned essential oils are used in treatment of sleep apnea as well as insomnia. Here’s the list of essential oils, which are used only in the treatment of insomnia.
- Melissa: Melissa helps to lower blood pressure, helps digestion, menstruation, and nervous system. It is relaxing and uplifting. Melissa is useful for Insomnia, nervous tension, depression, high blood pressure, indigestion, coughs, colds, shock and anxiety. But remember to use it small amounts, as skin irritation is possible.
- Rose: Rose has a relaxing and soothing effect. It is an aphrodisiac, nervous and digestive tonic, and helps menstruation. Rose is non-toxic, and non-irritant. Rose is useful for the treatment of Insomnia, nervous tension, depression, headaches, painful periods, nausea, and asthma. Add a few drops to your bathwater or sprinkle a few drops on a handkerchief and inhale.
- Sandalwood: Sandalwood is relaxing, aphrodisiac and antidepressant, expectorant, calms digestion. It is non-toxic, and non-irritant. Due to these properties it helps to induce sleep. It is also useful for treatment of Sleep apnea, insomnia, depression, nervous tension, catarrh, and colic.
- Jasmine: Jasmine is an antidepressant, sedative, aphrodisiac, and expectorant. It is non-toxic, non-irritant and has relaxing and soothing properties. It is useful for Insomnia, depression, apathy, nervous exhaustion, stress and breathing difficulties.
- Ylang ylang: Ylang ylang tones the nervous system, and lowers blood pressure due to its relaxing, aphrodisiac and antidepressant properties. It is also non-toxic, and non-irritant. Ylang ylang is one of the essential oil useful for the treatment of Insomnia, depression, stress, nervous tension, excitability.
- Bergamot: Bergamot has antiseptic, antifungal, and antiviral properties which makes it helpful for eczema, colds & flu, herpes, indigestion, acne, and oily skin. Due to its calming and balancing fruity-floral scent effect it is used for insomnia, depression and anxiety disorders.
The essential oils are either diluted into water and then vaporized into the air by means of a heat source like a candle or light bulb or can be added to a carrier oil such as sweet almond, and then applied directly to the skin or added to a hot bath. There are some side effects of using of essential oils. Pregnant women, who unfortunately are prone to difficulties sleeping, are advised to avoid the use of certain oils, such as rosemary and marjoram.