Anti-depressants are most of the time used for moderate to severe depressive illness, severe anxiety and panic attacks. It is also used for obsessive-compulsive disorders, chronic pain, eating disorders and post-traumatic stress disorder.
Essential Oils provide a fantastic natural alternative to common ailments we see at home. The actions of essential oils are broad, ranging from topical antiseptics and anti-inflammatory to analgesics, digestive system tonics, and anti-depressants. The essential oils that help to overcome depression are called anti-depressant essential oils.
- Bulgarian Rose oil, also called Rose Otto, is one such anti-depressant essential oil used for depression. The Rose Otto is steam-distilled and it takes about thirty roses to produce a single drop of essential oil making it extraordinarily concentrated. Thus it is very useful in relieving depression.
- Chamomile Essential Oil is used as a great tension reliever. This extremely gentle essential oil is useful for a wide variety of nervous conditions, and is often indicated for cases of stress in children. This essential oil is available in 2 varieties, German or Blue Chamomile and Roman Chamomile. The Roman variety is most often used for stress relief, whereas the German variety has the added bonus of being an extremely effective anti-inflammatory.
- Rosemary Essential Oil, used as an anti-depressant essential oil is an effective physical and mental stimulant, whether used in a diffuser or in a morning bath. Rosemary essential oil helps with alertness and lavender essential oil helps with insomnia. Put a few drops in the palm of your hand and rub them together and inhale it. It’s a quick way to wake up or help you get to sleep. You can also mix it with another oil, like olive oil, and give yourself a massage too.
- Frankincense and Lavender Essential Oils gives relief from anxiety and depression. Applying 1-2 drops of Frankincense and 1-2 drops of Lavender on forehead and neck melts away of any symptoms of anxiety or depression.
- Anti depressant essential oils like Clary Sage, Geranium and YlangYlang are used for hormone related depression. These oils either imitate or encourage estrogen production.
Few other anti depressant essential oils include Basil, Bergamot, Grapefruit, Jasmine, Lavender, Melissa, Neroli, Orange, Patchouli, Petitgrain and Sandalwood. The Bergamot oil is thought to help you with grief and even depression.
Single oils like Bergamot, Citrus Hystrix, Frankincense, Grapefruit, Jasmine Absolute, lemon, Neroli Absolute and Orange are also used as anti-depressants. Some oil blends like Dream catcher, Forgiveness and Gentle Baby also work as anti-depressants.